We have identified and carried out multiple projects illustrating each of these five distinct research methodologies:
- Interviews and Observations – In-person or remotely conducted interviews and/or observations of EHR users regarding their experiences in using various features and functions of their EHR.
- Ash JS, Sittig DF, McMullen CK, Wright A, Bunce A, Mohan V, Cohen DJ, Middleton B. Multiple perspectives on clinical decision support: a qualitative study of fifteen clinical and vendor organizations. BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2015 Apr 24;15(1):35.
- Wright A, Ash JS, Erickson JL, Wasserman J, Bunce A, Stanescu A, St Hilaire D, Panzenhagen M, Gebhardt E, McMullen C, Middleton B, Sittig DF. A qualitative study of the activities performed by people involved in clinical decision support: recommended practices for success. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2014 May-Jun;21(3):464-72. doi: 10.1136/amiajnl-2013-001771.
Wright A, Sittig DF, Ash JS, Erickson JL, Hickman TT, Paterno M, Gebhardt E, McMullen C, Tsurikova R, Dixon BE, Fraser G, Simonaitis L, Sonnenberg FA, Middleton B. Lessons learned from implementing service-oriented clinical decision support at four sites: A qualitative study. Int J Med Inform. 2015 Nov;84(11):901-11. doi: 10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2015.08.008.
- Surveys – quantitative and qualitative studies that involve answering a series of written or oral questions regarding a particular applied clinical informatics research topic
- Sittig DF, Hazlehurst BL, Brown J, Murphy S, Rosenman M, Tarczy-Hornoch P, Wilcox AB. A survey of informatics platforms that enable distributed comparative effectiveness research using multi-institutional heterogenous clinical data. Med Care. 2012 Jul;50 Suppl:S49-59. doi: 10.1097/MLR.0b013e318259c02b.
- Wright A, Sittig DF, Ash JS, Bates DW, Feblowitz J, Fraser G, Maviglia SM, McMullen C, Nichol WP, Pang JE, Starmer J, Middleton B. Governance for clinical decision support: case studies and recommended practices from leading institutions. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2011 Mar-Apr;18(2):187-94. doi: 10.1136/jamia.2009.002030.
- Wright A, Sittig DF, Ash JS, Feblowitz J, Meltzer S, McMullen C, Guappone K, Carpenter J, Richardson J, Simonaitis L, Evans RS, Nichol WP, Middleton B. Development and evaluation of a comprehensive clinical decision support taxonomy: comparison of front-end tools in commercial and internally developed electronic health record systems. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2011 May 1;18(3):232-42. doi: 10.1136/amiajnl-2011-000113.
- System Demonstrations – observational studies that involve reviewing specific aspects of an EHR’s design, functionality, or usability
- Sittig DF, Murphy DR, Smith MW, Russo E, Wright A, Singh H. Graphical Display of Diagnostic Test Results in Electronic Health Records: A Comparison of 8 Systems. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2015 Mar 18. pii: ocv013. doi: 10.1093/jamia/ocv013.
- Laxmisan A, McCoy AB, Wright A, Sittig DF. Clinical Summarization Capabilities of Commercially-available and Internally-developed Electronic Health Records. Appl Clin Inform. 2012 Feb 22;3(1):80-93.
- McCoy AB, Wright A, Sittig DF. Cross-Vendor Evaluation of Key User-defined Clinical Decision Support Capabilities: A Scenario-Based Assessment of Certified Electronic Health Records with Guidelines for Future Development. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2015 Sep;22(5):1081-8. doi: 10.1093/jamia/ocv073.
- Distributed Queries – retrospective studies that involve a standard data query that is executed at each facility and aggregated, de-identified results returned to the central coordinating center
- McCoy AB, Wright A, Kahn MG, Shapiro JS, Bernstam EV, Sittig DF. Matching identifiers in electronic health records: implications for duplicate records and patient safety. BMJ Qual Saf. 2013 Mar;22(3):219-24. doi: 10.1136/bmjqs-2012-001419.
- Wright A, Feblowitz JC, Pang JE, Carpenter JD, Krall MA, Middleton B, Sittig DF. Use of order sets in inpatient computerized provider order entry systems: a comparative analysis of usage patterns at seven sites. Int J Med Inform. 2012 Nov;81(11):733-45. doi: 10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2012.04.003.
Wright A, McCoy AB, Hickman TT, Hilaire DS, Borbolla D, Bowes WA 3rd, Dixon WG, Dorr DA, Krall M, Malholtra S, Bates DW, Sittig DF. Problem list completeness in electronic health records: a multi-site study and assessment of success factors. Int J Med Inform. 2015 Oct;84(10):784-90. doi: 10.1016/j.ijmedinf.2015.06.011.
- Experimental Interventions – clinical trials involving implementation of various clinical decision support tools and techniques designed to improve various aspects of patient care.
- Wright A, Pang J, Feblowitz JC, Maloney FL, Wilcox AR, McLoughlin KS, Ramelson H, Schneider L, Bates DW. Improving completeness of electronic problem lists through clinical decision support: a randomized, controlled trial. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2012 Jul-Aug;19(4):555-61. doi: 10.1136/amiajnl-2011-000521.